Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hello Stone Bridge

I hope some of you have been able to read about our adventure in China. First of all, let me say that I miss my students at Stone Bridge. You are absolutely great young people with a great future ahead of you. It is a privilege to work with you. Next, China is such an interesting culture. As I ate breakfast this morning, there were several young lady waitresses who doted over our new daughter. Just a nod and there was service from one of the many available. It was so much fun. I realized that in China, everyone who wants a job has a job. Everywhere we have gone, all the stores and restaurants have been loaded with workers. They are everywhere, ready to serve in an instant. At the restaurant last night, we had three ladies watching over our table. When my tea cup was half empty, they were there to fill it up. They don't get paid a great deal, yet they are well trained and know the value of serving others. China is a well ordered society. In general, people are safe wherever you go. As you know, people will be people, so as our guide told us, be on guard for your wallet all the time, and when you buy things, know that you can be "had" (have the wool pulled over your eyes), there are many ready to take advantage of you. Watch out for the quality of the goods as well; for example, you could be sold a pair of Nikes that look authentic, have the name on them, yet are very cheap substitutes. In China, it is a policy of "buyer beware".

I have to go to the store now, so I hope I will not get "taken" while I am there. I'll try to post again soon.


Mr. S from the stone age.


It's Thursday night, and much has happened over the last day. Today we received three documents. The first was a birth certificate, saying she was born on May 1, 2001; her birth parents and location of birth is unknown.

The second document is a statement of abandonment. Dong Fang Ying was found at the gate of the Children's Welfare Institute of Ningxia Region. The local police tried to track down her parents or next of kin, and the search was unsuccessful.

The third document is the adoption registration certificate. These documents are needed to get a passport back to the USA.
On Friday, we will get the final documents needed to then fly to southern China for the last leg of the trip. It was special for me to receive these documents. Here now is a little girl with a home. There will be many adjustments, but she now has a home.

One nicety about adopting a four year old is that she is potty trained and dry at night as well. One difficulty is that she is a tyrant when it comes to going to bed. Fortunately, my wife has had extensive training in this battle of the will. So far, we are winning. I think.

One word unknown in this region is "Sports". There are about 40 cable channels in Yinchuan and exactly zero sports programs. None. Any time of day or night. All forty stations are in Chinese. They don't even mention "Clemson" or the Buffalo Sabres. And as for the Terps, that word would not even pass through anybody's mouth unless it was perhaps some sort of Chinese slang word (and up to this point, it has not yet been reported).

My wife is posting many of the details....I hope you can read some of them. I have greatly enjoyed hearing from many of you. Please keep writing! Go Bulldog soccer!

Until next time,

Mr. S

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Skinner! It's Al from your 8th period history class. I'm glad to hear you're having a great time in China. We miss you in the US. Mr. Freeman pulled this site up at the end of class today, and we all saw the pictures :)

Congratulations on your wonderful new daughter and I hope the rest of your China adventures are awesome. Keep us updated! Thanks.

-Al